Thursday, August 29, 2013

Three Beautiful Things 08/28/13: Reunion, Clooney and Brando, Darker Black and White

1.  I hadn't seen Bill T. since he came with some other friends to visit me in the hospital as I recovered from bacterial meningitis back in November 1999.  This morning we met for coffee and had a really good time closing the gap of all the years that have passed.

2.  I had started "The Descendants" a night ago and finished it today.  Soon after Matt (George Clooney) discovers that his now comatose wife has had a lover, he tells his daughters to wait outside the hospital room and he spends a few minutes alone with her unloading his anger.  As I watched this, I was reminded of Paul (Marlon Brando) in "Last Tango in Paris".  Paul unloads an ever angrier, profane stream of vile upon the corpse of his deceased wife, ending his eulogy with tears and remorse, not unlike the more tender last moments Matt has late in "The Descendants" with his wife after she's died.  I went to YouTube this evening and found Paul's eulogy and watched again, shocked by Paul's vile anger.  Paul expresses his anger and grief throughout "Last Tango in Paris" in ways that Matt King in "The Descendants" doesn't even remotely approach.  But, I was struck by the similarity of the scenes in the two movies I've just mentioned.

3.  I did my best to continue to try to break out of my picture taking slump by taking my camera with me on my walk to Brails to meet Bill T.  The light was wonderful for the kinds of pictures I enjoy taking: shadow shots.  I experimented with faster shutter speeds to darken the pictures and many of them, I think, came out too dark.  I'll keep fiddling with that.  I love darker black and white pictures and I'm trying to find the sweet spot where I get just the look I want.  Here's one example:


No comments: