Saturday, August 3, 2013

Three Beautiful Thngs 08/02/13: Taming the Wild, Deep Sleep, Bring On the Couscous

1.  I've let an area on the north side of the house on the front yard side of the gate grow wild this summer and it was colorful with California poppies, the bloomerang bush starting to bloom, and the butterfly bush beginning to mature.  I decided it needs cleaning up and for the last two days I've been working hard to pull the worn out poppies and dig out the weeds and every once in a while today I looked out the window at the northeast corner of the house and smiled at how much better that area looks.

2.  It being a great workout for me, all that digging, pulling, and dumping of weeds into the Sanipac green recycling cart put me out for the count for a while this afternoon and I took one of the most satisfying naps I've had in months.  Good hard sleep.

3.  Maybe couscous and quinoa aren't even in the same food league.  Is one a grain and the other a cereal or a pasta or something?  I can't remember.  These distinctions don't often stick with me.  But, people often recommend quinoa for my stir fries and grain salads.  I strongly prefer couscous and this evening I stir fried tofu, Walla Walla sweet onion, mushrooms, and zucchini, mixed them up with couscous and topped it with some peanut sauce and I loved it. 

No comments: