Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 04/08/14: Writing During Class, Getting Real, Cornucopia Courtyard

1.  My students took time in class today to write about my piece, "Being a Liberal Arts Teacher" and I was happy that no one finished their writing in ten minutes, but all of them worked for at least a half an hour, many longer, and many of my students seemed to be diligently going back to the article, rereading parts of it, working to accurately demonstrate that they understand what the articles says about current trends in education, what is the matter with them, what I see, in contrast, as a better purpose for education, what's good about it, and what the article says I hope for in my students' attitudes toward learning and education.  We'll work more on this on Thursday.

2.  I contacted a realtor.  I made an appointment with HR at LCC.  The Deke and I see our financial person next week.  It's getting real.  We are working at getting a realistic picture of what we'll be taking with us as leave Eugene and head east.

3.  The Deke wanted to grade some papers in the Cornucopia courtyard and I walked over to join her and on one of the first sunny warm days of spring, it just seemed perfect to enjoy a couple of Cornucopia's unusually citrusy and unique tasting and most refreshing margaritas with a rice bowl that blends black beans, brown rice, chopped Romaine lettuce, chopped cabbage, black olives, guacamole, salsa, cilantro lime sour cream, tortilla chips, and maybe some other stuff.  It's a meatless dish and with spring arriving, somehow I'm getting better again at cutting back on the animal protein.  I lost some of my dietary discipline during the winter -- for a variety of reasons -- but I'm getting back to it. 

No comments: