Saturday, April 19, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 04/18/14: Downtown, Realtor Reality, I Used to be So Smart

1.  With parts of the interior of our house being painted, I got out of the house for a while and strolled downtown to see if I could snap some pictures I might like.  I didn't have a ton of success.  It was fairly empty downtown, but I did manage to take these:



2.  Every time we meet with our realtor, it all gets a little more real.  It won't be too much longer and we'll be showing our house, but we still have some work to do to get it ready.  Time to get some rubber gloves and rub on the elbow grease.

3.  A forty-five minute wait at Whirled Pies for our pizza and so I took my time enjoying a pint of Boneyard RPM IPA and as I listened to the wonderful millennials at the table right by mine talk about classes they were taking, reading they had to do, music festivals they'd been to and planned to enjoy, all the hiking, camping, and other outdoor activity that lay ahead, and, as I noted that a millennial guy near them had a book of David Hume's philosophy at his side, beside his pizza slice, and as I listened to his table mate, maybe his girlfriend, greet another student who'd come in, telling the friend she was taking a break from studying and would be back at it soon, I indulged in a little bit of graduate school nostalgia, thinking back to when I was reading big novels, plays, books of poetry, some criticism, squeezing in movies and how I'd sit with schoolmates over schooners of Henry Weinhard's Special Reserve and talk about classes we were taking and all the work we had to do and it was fun to feel once again how important it all felt over thirty years ago and what a blast it was to feel so smart when I was so young.  I've forgotten more stuff I studied back then than I know today. 

No comments: