Friday, July 25, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 07/24/14: Day Trip to Maryland, Tasty Shawarma Platter, 471 in the 703

1.  The Deke had some paperwork to submit to the principal she'll be working for, so we took a morning drive, first to Lanham, MD, where Robert Goddard French Immersion school used to be housed, and then a drive to Greenbelt, MD where the school has moved.  We drove around Greenbelt a bit, asking ourselves what it might be like to live in Greenbelt and we think it would be good. 

2.  We enjoyed lunch at The New Deal Cafe, a Mediterranean restaurant and cultural hub, in Roosevelt Center in the old part of Greenbelt.  I very much enjoyed my Shawarma Platter, marinated  roasted beef, served with tahini sauce, lettuce & tomato wrapped in pita with a green salad and really flavorful white rice on the side. 

3.  So far, the best place I've found to sit and have a beer is the Whole Foods store on Duke Street in Alexandria (area code 703) and after our trip to Maryland, the Deke and I sat at the horseshoe counter of the little pub and I enjoyed a 10 oz. 471 Double IPA from Breckenridge Brewery in Colorado.  The 471 weighs in at 9.8 ABV and so I sipped on my snifter very slowly and enjoyed 471's wide range of flavors and its warm booziness seemed to make me glow.   

No comments: