Saturday, September 13, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 09/12/14: Drain Works Again, Our Wedding Day, Tofu and Wine and Beer

Note:  This is my 2800th post at kellogg bloggin'.  When I first started writing this blog, I didn't realize how important it would become to me to write to remember.  Yes, I am grateful for the things that happen each day that I list under Three Beautiful Things.  I'm eternally grateful to Clare Law, who started her Three Beautiful Things blog back in 2004 and invited others to give it a go -- and it's a concept for writing and remembering and appreciating that's worked really well for me.  It's also a great way to keep others, who'd like to know, in touch with what I'm up to, especially since over 95% of my friends live elsewhere since the Deke and I have moved to the D. C. area.  I thought I would write more short essays when I first started this blog, and I still enjoy it when I do that, whether it's to reflect upon a movie, tell a story from the days in North Idaho, or reflect upon other things that come to mind.

1.  I'm glad plumbers know their trade.  I did a very stupid thing last night with a pan of leftover stir fry after Yzerman dragged it off the stove top on to the floor and started eating it. I put it in the garbage disposal, overtaxed it, and the rice became like cement in the pipes, plugging up the sink.  It cost an arm and a leg and a neck and a spine, but the kitchen drain is open, water drains fully down it, I paid for my stupidity, and I'm always disproportionately happy when broken things work again.

2.  If the Deke and I sign up for employee and spouse medical insurance through the Prince George's County School District plan, we need to prove we are married.  We arrived here with know idea where our marriage license/certificate is and ordered a new one.  It arrived today.  It made me unusually happy to read that John D. Green married us.  We got married at the Hitching Post in Coeur d' Alene and I'm sure, at the time, he introduced himself to us, but I had long forgotten his name and I like having a record of who he was.  After all, he was the only person present when the Deke and I said, "I do". 

3.  I sauteed tofu and poured over it a whisked mixture of soy sauce, sugar, crushed red pepper, minced garlic, minced ginger, and roasted sesame seeds.  I boiled Chinese noodles and fried them in sesame seed oil and each of us dished up some noodles and put some of the tofu mixture over them.  Molly and the Deke couldn't get over how good it tasted.  I have to agree.  My dinner was made even better by my discovery that this tofu dinner paired surprisingly well with Cab red wine out of the box.  A single bottle of Goose Island IPA worked really well as an after dinner drink.  There was one surprise after another tonight. 

No comments: