Thursday, October 30, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 10/29/14: Long Walks, Sorting Papers, Giants Win and I'm Not Filled with Joy

1.  A couple of good long walks today, first with the dogs when we walked one and a half times around the lake because our walk started at the auto shop (120,000 mile service job and new rear brakes) and then I had to walk back to the shop.  I left the dogs behind in our apartment home and that seemed to work out all right.

2.  Finally, after moving and hauling around a green tub with miscellaneous cords and stuff and with the folders of our household papers, I nearly finished getting that stuff sorted out.  I want to have this done before I head to Kellogg next week.

3.  I have to admit:  somewhere along the line over the last 10-15 years, I lost my emotional involvement with baseball.  Baseball, like other sports, interests me, and I enjoy knowing what's going on, but I don't have the fire in my belly for specific teams I once had, don't feel the joy or disappointment I once felt when teams I root for succeed for fail.  This is too bad tonight because my longtime favorite baseball team, since 1962) the Giants, won the World Series for the third time in five years.  Had this happened when I was in my twenties or my thirties, I would be out of my mind with joy.  But, now, I'm not indifferent, but I don't get the rush I did when I was younger.  I can't explain it -- maybe it would be different if I watched the games on television...I don't know.  But, I appreciate their win from a baseball history point of view and I admire what a scrappy team this was and how incredibly Madison Bumgarner pitched, but that rush of joy I would have felt in my younger days just didn't happen.

No comments: