Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Three Beautiful Things 11/03/14: New Tax Accountant, High Time to Get to Beltsville, Shannon Behind the Bar

1.  I awoke, pulled myself together, and met my 9:00 appointment with our new tax accountant and it was a really good visit.  I don't know how our tax bill is going to end up, but, for me, things felt chaotic on the tax front with our move to Maryland and Bill, the guy I saw today, helped me see that things aren't nearly as confusing as they were in my head.

2.  Sometimes, like Ishmael, "whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to" well, to get to Beltsville.  So, to Beltsville I went today. I enjoyed the well-lighted interior of Petco (PetSmart is dingy to me) and bought some dog food and snacks and I went up the road to the Old Line Bistro and satisfied my longing for a margarita and ate half a chicken Caesar wrap (I brought the other half home) and sipped on a half pint of Breckenridge Fresh Hop Pale Ale.

3.  Shannon was working the bar at the Old Line Bistro and she was fun.  She enjoyed conversation and went down to the end of the bar to talk with a couple guys down there and then made her way to my end of the bar and told me about the one time she took a trip to Portland and to Mt. St. Helen's and how much she enjoyed the waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge and the lava caves at Mt. St. Helen's.  She was never overbearing, checked in on me at just the right times, and made my lunch in Beltsville most enjoyable.

No comments: