Saturday, February 21, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 02/20/15: Dog Delivery, Heading North, My First HopDevil

1.  It was a great day in the Subaru.  It began when I leashed up the corgis and secured them in the back seat and we drove down I-495 to Molly and Hiram's -- they are looking after Maggie and Charly while the Deke and I hit the road and head north.

2.  I decided to head back to Greenbelt via I-295 and it was a parking lot out there -- standstill traffic for a few miles -- but eventually things got moving again and the Deke and I packed some stuff into the Sube and headed up 1-95 and then the New Jersey Turnpike and arrived in Metuchen, NJ so we could visit the Deke's cousin Sally and her husband, Ted.  I had never met them before and we hit it off right away and piled into one Sally and Ted's rigs and headed downtown to Hailey's Harp and Pub, a popular watering hole packed wall to wall with people (I think Ted knew them all!) and offering a generous and various taplist.

3.  I was very happy to learn that Hailey's Harp and Pub was serving Victory Brewing's highly regarded HopDevil IPA and I can't remember ever drinking it before.  OH MY!!  What a fine IPA.  It is as nicely balanced and easy to drink as any IPA I've ever drunk.  Yes, it hits the nose and mouth immediately with hoppiness, but those hops don't dominate the beer and give way to a subtle sweetness, but that's not the finish.  I slight bitterness is.  Lord, I wished that beer was not an intoxicating beverage.  I could have quaffed this HopDevil all night long!

No comments: