Thursday, February 26, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 02/25/15: Forms, Eggplant, Wildcats

1.  Going to the U of Maryland Transplantation Center for an all-day appointment requires some paper work, mostly filling out of questionnaires about my health history and my mental state.  I sat myself down and filled these forms out today.  I didn't really feel the stress of doing this until I was finished and collapsed on the bed with the Corgis and fell into a coma nap.

2.  I had fun chopping up eggplant, sauteeing it for a while in garlic and seasoning it with red pepper flakes.  After a bit, I poured a cup of water over the eggplant, along with fish sauce and sugar, and let the eggplant steam until soft.  The coup de grace was a generous heaping of fresh basil leaves on the eggplant.  I served it over brown rice and the Deke and I marveled at how lucky we are to experience so much pleasure from such simple food.  This dish was really good.

3.  A Facebook thread initiated by Doug Schonewald reporting Van Troxel's initiation into the Idaho Sports Hall of Fame turned into a discussion, still ongoing, about North Idaho basketball in early 70's and later a look at KHS basketball in the late 50s and on into 1964, the last time KHS won a state title. Coincidentally, while we were gabbing on Facebook about the good old days, Kellogg defeated Bonners Ferry, 53-39, to advance to the state tournament.  Should the Wildcats claw their way to a state title, it would be Kellogg's first since 1964.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for the purple and gold.

No comments: