Saturday, February 28, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 02/27/15: More a Greenbelt Guy, Lucky 7, One Bowl Curry

1.  It was a good day for deepening my involvement as a resident of Greenbelt, MD.  I secured a library card and went over to the fitness center and bought a ten buck pass enabling me to ride any U of Maryland shuttle bus and, for a ridiculously low price, bought a year long membership at the Fitness and Aquatic Center.  This was one of my first experiences of paying a greatly reduced rate because, at this place, I am a senior citizen.

2.  After I'd been to the Co-op, the only store in Greenbelt that can sell beer (I still don't quite full understand Maryland's laws regarding beer sales in grocery stores) (well, maybe convenience stores can sell beer), the Deke sent me an emergency text requesting that I pick her up some red wine or a sixer of porter/stout.  There's a liquor store on Greenbelt Road, on the same side of the street as Staples, where I had a visit planned, so I went to it and, at first, nearly bought a sixer of Double IPA, corrected myself, returned to the cooler and could only find one porter, Lucky 7 brewed by Evolution in Salisbury, MD.  I took a risk, hoping it would work for the Deke, and it did -- big time.  She loves it. This made me very happy.  I took a gulp from one of her servings, and, yeah, it is really good.

3.  During the day, I soaked and cooked up some chick peas and, upon returning home, I sauteed some onions, garlic, and ginger, later added curry powder, let it cook for a while, added a can of diced tomatoes, let that mixture cook, and then added the chick peas, more cooking, and finished it off my folding fresh baby spinach leaves into the mix.  We ate this over brown rice and garnished it with cilantro and plain yogurt.  For the 107,000th night in a row we ate a one bowl dinner and we totally enjoyed it. (I'm wondering -- would eggplant have worked?)

No comments: