Friday, May 15, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 05/14/15: Road Trip Confirmed, Spicy Soup, Change for the Better?

1.  The Deke and I confirmed with each other this morning that we will be hitting the road Friday morning to go see Adrienne and Jack in good ole Nyack.  This means a road trip for Charly and Maggie, not always their favorite thing to do.

2.  Molly and David and Olivia would be paying us a late afternoon visit, so I decided to make us grown ups a pot of cauliflower soup (to which I also add broccoli) and so I sauteed a couple of onions with red pepper (my addition), spiced them up with bay leaf and Chinese five spice powder and red pepper flakes, added five cloves of crushed garlic, let that cook a bit and then made about 4 and 1/2 cups of vegetable/chicken broth, added the cauliflower and broccoli, boiled the vegetables until tender, transferred it into the blender, blended it until velvety, put the velvety mixture back in the pot, added vinegar and a can of coconut milk and, PRESTO! -- the soup was ready.  I had a good amount of leftover cooked rice on hand and this spicy soup is particularly tasty served over brown rice.

3.  The Deke and I had a good talk about her work. The fact that a particular student was transferred out of her home room might help her end the school year better -- and it's an action that could make the student and the student's mother more pleased -- but, then again, who knows?  For the Deke and me, it'll be nice to have a three day weekend and a trip to New York to get away from such things.

No comments: