Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Three Beautiful Things 05/18/15: Rise of the Robots, Work Out, My Friend Flickr

1.  It was muggy outside, at times rainy, and I decided to stay inside and cook meals to last the next few days and listen to WAMU.  I learned about Jeffrey Brown's poetry, mixed use architecture and planning in the D. C. area -- where it's succeeded and where it's been less successful -- and then I learned about how robots and Artificial Intelligence are taking over many, many tasks once done by humans, and, in turn, making even more and more human labor obsolete -- and not just physical labor, but jobs that have traditionally relied on human thinking, analysis, and judgment.  The radio interview with Martin Ford, author of Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future discussed what's happening and what kinds of white collar and blue collar jobs are being replaced by robots, but didn't discuss what to do about the loss of these jobs and how people will make money if human labor is becoming increasingly obsolete as more jobs disappear.  I sure don't know.

2.  I picked up the Deke from work and we went straight to the Greenbelt Fitness Center and enjoyed exercising and plan to make this a part of our daily routine.

3.  In the past, I've always had to carve out a good chunk of time to upload pictures to my Flickr page. But something happened over at Flickr -- my pictures uploaded really fast and I was able to add to some of my albums and create some new ones in almost no time at all.  Flickr also has some new features I like, but I need to do some more poking around over there to see if some of the features I used to enjoy at Flickr are still available -- especially search functions.  

No comments: