Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Three Beautiful Things 04/25/16: Splish Splash, Big Rice Salad, Dogfish Head 120 Minutes

1. After a two week absence, this morning I was back to the senior water aerobic class I take, flopping around, splashing, getting some good exercise, not even wanting to wipe the smile off my face.

2. I decided to go all out and cram the rice salad I made today with more flavors and textures than I ever have before.  I combined brown rice and couscous. I used fresh cilantro, basil, and mint. I added sweet orange pepper to the usual ingredients: tomatoes, feta cheese, almonds,garbanzo beans, cucumbers, lemon juice, and olive oil.  It is a dense, flavorful salad and will be even better as it sits overnight.

3. The Deke and I continued the ongoing project of figuring out our lives at Old Line Bistro. We each enjoyed a flight of beers. On the way out, we bought two 12 oz. bottles of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute Imperial IPA. It is about 18% ABV and so we split one of the bottles after we chilled it back at our apartment home. It is the booziest, most aggressively hopped, and most unusual beer I've ever tasted. Six ounces of it was about right. It was so different tasting and smelling that it left me speechless, unsure of what I thought.  Ha! It'll be fun to split the other bottle one of these days. I'll try to decide if I think it's really nasty, kind of sublime, or somewhere in between.

No comments: