Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 01/02/18: Picture on the Wall, Perpetual Soup, Spaghetti Squash Dish

1.  We are moving very slowly at getting our new house set up. Today, though, with Ed's help, the Deke hung a picture on the living room wall.

Slowly.

Surely.

2. The Deke and I won the prime rib roast bones lottery on New Year's Eve and I've been reading about perpetual soup, here, and so I covered the bones with water and added fresh oregano, basil stems, carrots, celery, bay leaves, and onion and started slow cooking the bones on the stove top to make a beef broth. Soon, I'll buy us a slow cooker and transfer the broth into it  and try out what Jennifer McGruther does and let the broth cook for a week and start another batch with other bones -- probably chicken -- next Tuesday.

3. We had a spaghetti squash on hand and I cooked it and sauteed a combination of onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes, mixed the squash strings and these vegetables together, and topped the mixture with fresh basil leaves. It's simple. I didn't have pine nuts on hand, so our dish didn't have nuts. You can look over the recipe, here.

No comments: