Friday, January 19, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 01/18/18: Soup Cooked, Adding Sausage, Dinner with Shawn

1. I woke up this morning to the rich smell of ham and beans bubbling away in the slow cooker. I removed the ham hocks, put the bones and fat in a zip lock bag in the freezer, poured some water in the soup, and stopped cooking it and put the cooker on warm for the rest of the day.

2. Yoke's makes German sausage in their butchery and I bought six of them. I put three in the freezer and cooked the other three and chopped them up into small pieces and added them to the ham and bean soup. Not a lot of meat came off the ham hocks and I wanted more meat in the soup. I enjoy sausage in soup, so I figured I'd see how sausage worked in this soup. Both the Deke and I agreed it was a good move.

3. Shawn came by late in the afternoon for dinner. I fixed a round of cornbread to go with the ham/sausage and navy bean soup and the Deke made a very delicious cabbage salad.  Christy had some leftover pie from a P.E.O. meeting on Wednesday night and she gave it to us for dessert. The pie was a rich and tasty combination of whipped cream, fruit, pecan, and coconut. We had fun talking with Shawn and after dinner he coached the Deke in the fine art of drilling holes in the wall to hang stuff up. Now a guitar and ukulele hang on one of our living room walls, right next to the poster advertising the first Babes with Axes show. They made their debut on December 2, 1993, four years before the Deke and I got together. I attended that first show.

No comments: