Saturday, October 1, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 09/30/10: Neil Simon at LCC (A Conflict for Me), The Office, Two Retired Professors

1.  It's hard for me to go see a play by a playwright I don't really enjoy.  I don't enjoy Neil Simon.  I went to see Simon's "Brighton Beach Memoirs" at LCC, put on by the incredible Student Productions Association.  The production was splendid.  It was very pleasing to the eye.  The actors brought great energy to their work.  It was great to see Sarah and Tanner, whom I worked with in "Taming of the Shrew".  They did wonderful work, as did the rest of the cast.  I was very happy for Tim who was the assistant director of the production.  I sat two seats down from him in the audience and enjoyed his delight in seeing his hard work come alive on stage.   I found myself, however, wishing at many points during the play that all of this talent and beauty and energy had been devoted to a playwright I enjoy more.  I have this experience consistently with two often produced playwrights:  Anton Chekhov and Neil Simon.  However, unlike the last several times when I saw a Chekhov play and wanted to run screaming out of the theater or movie house, I never felt this way at LCC's production "Brighton Beach Memoirs".  There was too much to enjoy.   And it was wonderful to see so many people in the audience and  to hear so many big laughs.  As someone who doesn't care much for Neil Simon, I was definitely in the minority -- in a big way.  Nothing wrong with that!

2.  I enjoy my work as a teacher the most when I work with students individually and two students came by during my office hours today and it felt great to be of help and to get better acquainted with these students.

3.  I stopped into Todd's Place this morning for breakfast and seated at a table together were two professors from the University of Oregon whose presence brought back a ton of memories of research/bibliography (James Boren, English) and breakfasts at the Glenwood and the introduction of a couple of friends of mine into Wings (Will Davie, Philosophy).   Both professors are retired, are emeritus, and were two men whom it seemed like I saw every day, one way or another, when I spent almost every waking moment in the halls of old PLC, starting thirty years ago. 

No comments: