Monday, October 3, 2011

Three Beautiful Things10/02/11: Small Groups, "Abraham's Land", Stout Blanche

1.  Carolyn and I got the way we are going to deal with beauty in the small groups figured out.  We also had a fine lunch at High Street.

2.  I was happy to be an audience to the reading of "Abraham's Land", but as a read play, it didn't do much for me.  I'm ready to believe that I would find it more compelling were I to see it staged and acted.  The subject matter is as important as any subject matter can be:  the tensions between Jews and Palestinians.  I'm not totally sure that the particular play treats those tensions convincingly.

3.  I stopped in at 16 Tons after the play reading and enjoyed aWrasslers XXXXX Stout.  It was a very pleasing stout on the coffee end of the taste spectrum, but its hoppiness surprised me.  I didn't like how hoppy it was for about three sips, but then, for mysterious reasons, the hoppiness grew on me and I enjoyed the last, what?, dozen or so pulls from the pint.  I then drank a half pint of a much sweeter beer, Mort Subite Blanche. As often happens in my explorations up and down the tap list at 16 Tons, this beer provided me with a different experience than I'd ever had before.  It was the sweetest beer I've ever tasted.  It wasn't like drinking Hi C or anything like that.  But its sweetness and its Belgian qualities combined to be not only pleasing, but, for me, unique (in a good way).

No comments: