Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 04/29/08: Neruda, Class Buzz, Students Travel the World

1. I love teaching poetry. Today my World Lit students and I worked on a couple of Neruda Odes together and I could feel vitality coursing throughout my body and I'm hoping the poetry came alive for my students, too.

2. Tonight my WR 122 students read essays they had written aloud in groups of three and four and the room buzzed with students reading, talking with each other, laughing, and just enjoying themselves. I was out of the picture, temporarily irrelevant. These are my favorite times in the classroom, when the students take over and listen to and enjoy each other.

3. Today was great conversations with students day: about the Women's Center, travel to India, good times in Mexico, hiking in Alaska, living in the country just off Mohawk Road, travel across the country on Greyhound. None of these things were about me. It was my students telling me stories about their lives and concerns in casual conversation.

3 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Your students are so very lucky to have you as their teacher and listener and inspiration......

x

Nate said...

Your reading of those Neruda poems really did bring them to life. I can't stop reading his poems outloud. don't forget to check out those billy collins poems on youtube.

JBelle said...

Two best drives, perhaps in all of creaton? Rose Lake to St. Maries. Plummer to St. Maries.


out.