Sunday, April 6, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 04/05/08: Tigers, Jayhawks, Vanessa

1. ncaa.com makes the NCAA basketball tournament games available live and without charge. I watched today's games. In game #1, I was for UCLA, but was so impressed with how Memphis dismantled the Bruins that my inner rooting mechanism for the Bruins kind of died and I watched the Tigers with astonishment.

2. Likewise, in the second game, the Kansas Jayhawks stunned me. I'm not sure how much time had elapsed when the Jayhawks were up 40-12, but, for that stretch of time, I hadn't seen such amazing basketball played for a long time. I didn't think any team at any time could bulldozer North Carolina the way Kansas did in the first half. My jaw dropped. And dropped. And dropped.

3. What a pleasure it was to see Vanessa working the customer service counter at Albertson's. Vanessa was one of my students in my winter Survey of World Literature course and she wrote papers expressing her amazement that ancient literature could speak so clearly and immediately to her life and concerns in the 21st century. It was fun to talk with her and to remember her insightful and enthusiastic writing.

4 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

I was working while the game was on and as Kansas got so far ahead I lost a bit of interest, but I was amazing then how NC made a surge ahead in the second half. I can't even predict what might happen in the final. This has been quite a tournament.

JBelle said...

Yesterday was damn fine basketball, wasn't it?

myrtle beached whale said...

Not fine for me. I lost $100 on Carolina. I did not think it was possible for them to play that poorly.

Anonymous said...

Ah, thanks Bill! :D It was fun bumping into you there! :) Anytime you need lottery tickets, scratch-its or tobacco, come visit me at Albys!
I also found out the other day, that my brother really likes writing poetry (he's sixteen), and was probably the last person whom I expect to want to write! So I'm handing him my Rumi over for a little while, as I think he needs it more than me. Thanks for starting it all! :D