Monday, November 21, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 11/20/11: Tom the Librarian, Back to The Abyss, Chicken Dinner

1.  It was a lot of fun to see Tom Beckstrand give his symposium on the church library.  He was animated, happy to be the library guy, and eager to let us know what is what in the library.  His talk was good, too.

2.  After the symposium, the Troxstar and I spent some time at the 2nd Annual Eugene Winter & Strong Ale Festival at 16 Tons.  These beers are strong and we were careful.  I sure enjoyed two 3 oz. tasters:  first, Block 15 Figgy Pudding Ale and, second,  Terminal Gravity Bucolic Plague (2009).  Then I could not resist returning to The Abyss and enjoy two half pints of Deschutes' The Abyss, a deep, dark, mysterious, and tasty Imperial Stout.  It's my favorite, although I really enjoyed that the Figgy Pudding Ale had been matured in brandy barrels before conditioning with mission figs, Ceylon cinnamon and nutmeg.  These beers were really fun to drink and required all the caution I exercised.

3.  So tasty, so easy:  a tray of chicken legs with potatoes and onions popped into the oven for an hour or so resulted in a satisfying dinner for Samantha and me. 

No comments: