Thursday, December 3, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 12-02-20: My Rock to Roll, Zags Face the Bruising Mountaineers, Rice Dreams

 1. I keep cleaning the kitchen. The kitchen cleaning will never be finished. It is an unending work in progress -- the counters, stove, dishes, dining table, floor, the refrigerator -- I wipe, wipe, wipe, sweep, sweep, sweep, load, unload, more to load. I'm very happy in the kitchen. It's also reminds me endlessly of the eternal truth of the Myth of Sisyphus. 

2. I vaguely remember that when I was on the KHS basketball team and we faced an opponent even faster, stronger, and more talented than I was ready for,  I'd feel disoriented, dizzy, and lost - if I happened to be playing. 

Tonight, in the first half of their game with West Virginia, a rough physical team, I thought the Zags looked surprised and disoriented, especially Drew Timme. I posted a message to Stu that I thought the Zags needed the break at half time to come so Timme, and others, could clear their heads, come to grips with the reality of West Virginia's strength and relentlessness, and possibly come out in the second half knowing what was coming and deal with it more ably. Oh! One other thing -- as a member of the KHS Wildcats, when I experienced this disorientation, it made me sluggish. Energy drained out me. I thought I saw some of that tonight in the Zags. 

In addition, with about seven minutes left in the first half,  the Zags' powerhouse freshman point guard, Jalen Suggs, slipped when making a pass, landed awkwardly on his left foot and crumpled to the floor, writhing in pain. Seeing Suggs in so much pain shocked his teammates, deflated them, and they needed to get into the locker room at halftime to gather themselves after witnessing Suggs go down.

The Zags did, in fact, turn the tide of the contest their way in the second half. Drew Timme played more aggressively, played stronger; Jalen Suggs, against all odds, returned to play the last fifteen minutes of the game; newcomer, transfer Andrew Nembhard made play after play and helped pick up the slack left by Suggs' absence and played well with Suggs upon his return; Joel Ayayi played his subtle, quietly efficient, graceful game both offensively and defensively; and Corey Kisbert showed once again that not only is he what he's always been, a sharpshooter from distance, but he's also developed into a more physical player, rugged on defense and much more aggressive and powerful going to the tin than he was in his younger years.

In the end, the Zags fought through the difficulties West Virginia presented and prevailed, 87-82. Aside from the injury to Suggs, I thought this game was just what the Zags needed. They were tested by a team with great power inside, a team that plays rugged, disruptive basketball, by a team that rarely let the Zags get comfortable in any aspect of their game. 

I think having been tested like this will strengthen the Zags, help them respond better the next time a rough and tough opponent pushes them around and plays as hard as the University of West Virginia Mountaineers.

The Zags will be sternly challenged Saturday, December 5, when they play Baylor (10 a.m. PST, CBS). They will face a very physical, hard-working, and gifted player in Luka Garza when they play Iowa on December 19th. To me, it will be a wonder if the Zags win both of these upcoming games. 

3. I didn't watch another episode of Midnight Diner today, but I so enjoyed seeing Master having boiled a big pot of rice the other night, that I cooked up a quart of dry rice into about four quarts of cooked rice and ate three helpings of this rice topped with Bragg Liquid Aminos and can hardly wait to spread some of this rice in a puddle of olive oil, heat it up, and crack two eggs over it and scramble it all together.  It's the closest I can come, so far, to making something like the delicious rice omelet (without the meat) available at Brails on Fifth in Eugene. I am going to dedicate my mind and imagination and meagre cooking skills to creating a rice omelet -- not a copy of the one at Brails, but one of my own. 

No comments: