Thursday, July 22, 2021

Three Beautiful Thing 07/21/2021: Cravings, Whale Writer, Syllabus

1. I picked up a few things at Yoke's today and decided to indulge two cravings by buying a package of Wiley Wallaby's soft and chewy black licorice and a couple of bottles of club soda. I won't consume the two together, but I am pretty sure that eating this black licorice will be a gateway to drinking small portions of the bottle of ouza I have in the house. I love the club soda's carbonation and its tastelessness quenches my thirst. 

2. Honestly, the book Fathoms by Rebecca Griggs is so entirely packed with insights about nature, ecological relationships, cultural history, the invasiveness of human beings (in the ocean and on land), and countless other topics that I am currently at a loss to sum up my reading. This book is stimulating my thinking, deepening feelings of love I have for the animal kingdom and the world of nature, and expanding my understanding of the vulnerability and the resilience of non-human life -- and the terrible number of species of living things that humans have destroyed.  

3. I did some poking around online, looking to see what, in addition to writing this astonishing book,  Rebecca Griggs has been up to.

To my delight, I found the syllabus of a seminar that Dr. Rebecca Griggs and Dr. Jennifer Hamilton gave at NYU-Sydney entitled: Readings in Contemporary Literary Theory: Eco-Criticism.

I'm going to do some work to understand better the thrust of eco-criticism. I think doing so will help me understand the book, Fathoms. As it stands, I am enjoying Fathoms a lot, but I know I'm not fully comprehending it and this may have to do, in part, with my inexperience in the field of literary theory in general and eco-criticism in particular. 

The syllabus provides some working definitions of eco-criticism and a demanding reading list for the students who enrolled in this seminar. I am quite sure that if I ever had the intellectual energy to complete this seminar when I was a grad student, I doubt I have that energy now. 

I'm thinking some of you reading this blog post might be interested in looking this syllabus over. If so, here's the link: https://bit.ly/3wXJAf7

No comments: