Saturday, July 24, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 07/23/2021: Complicated Book, In Praise of Miller Beer, A Simple Dinner

 1. As I read further into Rebecca Giggs book, Fathoms, I learn more and more about the complicated relationships human beings have with other animal species, the inanimate world of nature, and with ourselves in relation to nature. I'm intellectually equipped to understand much of what she writes while I read it, but I'm not equipped, just yet, to summarize her insights. She writes philosophically, theoretically, and poetically. It's challenging and, for me, stimulating and enjoyable. But, as of now, I can't really articulate any kind of precise condensation of what I've read so far. I haven't sorted it out well enough. 

I can say, though, that she's giving me a lot to ponder and a lot to examine in myself as one who loves animals and loves being out in the world of nature.

2. Ed wondered if I'd like to go up to The Lounge around 4:00 and shoot the breeze and drink a couple beers. I sure did. Things were mellow at The Lounge at 4:00. Ed and I had fun talking together about this and that and got in some pretty good yakkin' with Cas, too. These days, when I go to The Lounge, or any other establishment that serves mostly big market American beers, I enjoy drinking The Champagne of Bottled Beers -- that is, Miller High Life. 

Yes, I enjoy a masterfully hopped craft beer as much as the next tap room/brewery hound, but when Cas serves me an ice cold, and I mean ice cold, Miller, I welcome its crispness and sweeter flavor. It's been fun to kind of figure out that while the great American big market beers do not have the galaxy of flavors available that, say, a hoppy IPA has, their cold crispness, out front sweetness, and light bitterness makes them easy to drink and refreshing. I have found, unlike many other craft beer drinkers, that I don't enjoy the flavor packed craft beers alongside food. I enjoy them much more before a meal or afterward. But, I do very much enjoy, say, a Miller High Life to help wash down a burger and fries -- it feels to me very similar to the enjoyment I experience drinking a cola with a burger (but not quite as sweet). 

So, fellow beer drinkers, count me in as someone who loves all craft beer, from stouts to Belgians to IPAs to red ales to pilsners and lagers and, who, at the same time, loves to grab a seat at the bar at the Inland Lounge or the Prichard Tavern or at Corby's and enjoy a Miller High Life or a Budweiser in a long neck bottle (or on draft). 

3. I arrived home a little after five after my hour uptown and, before long, I took out some frozen shrimp and a frozen salmon patty and cooked them together and put them in a bowl of jasmine rice and topped it with some teriyaki sauce. It was a simple, filling, and satisfying dinner. 

No comments: