Thursday, July 12, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 07/12/07: Chili Burgers, Didion, Cooling

1. Mom wondered if I'd like Nalley's chili with my barbequed hamburger. Memories rushed through me. Nalley's chili was perfect after Kellogg High School football games, basketball games, dances, or a night making out in my parent's Malibu. I'd get home around midnight and a can of Nalley's original chili satisfied my hunger. Tonight, while hogging down huge spoonfuls before slathering my burger with Nalley's original chili, all I could think of was how perfect Nalley's original chile tasted with Sunshine Krispy Saltine Crackers. Nalley's original chili was perfect on my two burgers, too.

2. Joan Didion writes associative prose and I have enjoyed following the many threads of her associative mind in her memoir "The Year of Magical Thinking."

3. Kellogg cools down. This week a heat wave sears the daylight hours,C but at night, Kellogg cools down. I've been other places during heat waves. Boston doesn't cool down. Cincinnati doesn't cool down. Neither do New Albany, Indiana nor Bloomington, Indiana. Hendersonville, North Carolina doesn't cool down. As the sun lowers, Kellogg cools down. It always has.

3 comments:

Scott Garner said...

That's what I miss about living out West: without the humidity, evenings are so pleasant. Here in Statesboro, 70 percent relative humidity makes sweating your privates off at 3 a.m. a distinct possibility.

And it makes that same scenario an absolute certainty during the day.

Christy Woolum said...

I don't think it cools down quite ao quickly up north on Lake Roosevelt. :(

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

Nalley's Chili - oh, yea. We like it, too.

What is associative prose?

Ah, cool evenings. I think - and this is just my theory - but I think the reason Kellogg/Pinehurst cools down at night is because of the mountains. They cast a shadow over their northern slopes in the evening, cooling down the north side of the mountains. As the sun goes down, the hot air rises and the cool air zips down the draws into the valleys. If you have ever ridden a motorcycle in the evening, the drive past the draws is very cool - sometimes chilly, compared to the rest of the drive.

Speaking of chilly - now I am thinking of Nalley's chili again.