Monday, July 23, 2007

Two x Three Beautiful Things 07/22,23/07: Potato Salad, The Boss, Chase, Cold, Law and Order, Silver Valley Girl Wi-Fi

1. Sunday afternoon bbq at Mom's featuring hot dogs, hamburgers, melons, and, best of all, Mom's potato salad. The Deke and Reba make good potato salad; the catering service at Saturday's reunion picnic made good potato salad; Mom's is the best.

2. I was upstairs starting to read "The Agony and Ecstasy" when Bruce Springsteen's "Jungleland" came on the radio and suddenly the fall of 1975 was all over me: reading "Agony/Ecstasy" in Dr. Duvall's Renaissance history course; listening to "Jungleland" in my dorm room, feeling some odd affinity with the New Jersey lost souls, even though I'm from Kellogg; the Sox go down in seven to the Reds, and I listened to Game 6 while studying for Duvall's exam and missed game 7 to take my midterm (it was a night class); Patty Hearst captured; assassination attempts on Gerald Ford; I was a college senior and everything seemed so magnified and memorable and it was all over me tonight.

3. Snug chasing hummingbirds in Mom's back yard!

4. I watched "The Departed" and admired it, but was left unmoved.

5. I was more moved by two episodes of Law and Order, one which ended in a murder I found more shocking and upsetting than anything that happened in "The Departed".

6. I'm back at Silver Valley Girl's house and have total access to the Internet again. I have a lot of catching up to do!

No comments: