Monday, November 12, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 11/11/07: Grizzly, Revisiting "Into the Wild", Anguish

1. I came away from viewing the remarkable documentary "Grizzly Man" with high regard for the film, but low regard for its subject, Timothy Treadwell. While Treadwell's video footage of the bears in the Alaska Peninsula were astonishing, his self-absorption, immaturity, and deceit left me cold. His death was awful, but his on-camera persona created little sympathy in me for his project.

2. I came away from seeing "Into the Wild" for the second time with a deeper understanding of the movie and an even higher regard for how beautifully made it is and for the way it portrays the life and death of Chris McCandless.

3. I found this video portraying Iraqi war veteran James Blake Miller astonishing. I wasn't that crazy about the epilogue, but the two parts focusing on Miller are riveting in their exploration of his anguish.

1 comment:

Dubya said...

Um, Happy Veteran's Day?