Friday, February 22, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 02/21/08: Alex, Goldberg, Cold Pop/Warm Pizza

1. Alex alway has some time to burn after WR 122 before she has to catch the bus and she likes to hang around the classroom and get extra help with her writing or tell me about her current trials and triumphs in her life and I've come to look forward to sitting and listening to what she has to tell me.

2. Today was the second day of students reading essays growing out of the memories, thoughts, associations, or other experiences triggered by listening to Glenn Gould's 1982 recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations. I enjoy how concretely descriptive so many of the essays were and found myself near tears when A wrote about the death of her music teacher or when J wrote about the Glenn Gould playing in the background at her apartment as she and her (now ex-)boyfriend argued for the last time or when T recalled her honeymoon in Mexico with her second husband and the return to the the five kids of their new blended family when the honeymoon was over.

3. I hadn't had any pizza for quite a while and I bought a slice of Canadian bacon and pineapple and a slice of pepperoni. I like to then buy a bottle of Diet Pepsi from the cooler and buy a large cup packed with ice. When the soda is as cold as possible it tastes perfect with the pizza. I'm glad I don't do this often. I'd hate for this lunch treat to lose its edge through eating it too often.

No comments: