Friday, February 1, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 01/31/08: Low Brow, Fragment Gratitude, Tangled Up in Fate

1. I relish it when I'm talking with my best-friends-high-pop culture/Bob Dylan lyrics as poetry interpreting America priests Jeff and Michael and I can drop my love of Neil Diamond, the Monkees and "I'm a Believer", Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Grand Funk Railroad, and Chuck Mangione into the conversation and have them call me a weird dude. I didn't have a chance to mention the Bee Gees, Guns n Roses or The New Christy Mistrels.

2. Syd was such a good sport when when she read from her four word sentence style exercise and I thanked her for using sentence fragments because without her errors I'd be out of work and wouldn't be able to help pay for Patrick saying that he thought ice and snow was overrated as a danger to driving and then going out and sliding on ice and smashing into a curb, leaving his car with a bent rim and damaged steering column and help him compensate for loaning his sister 500 bucks and buying a ticket to Burning Man and putting part of the repair charges on the Visa. It's all connected. Without Syd's fragments I'd be unneeded. Patrick's car would be sitting bent in front of the house.

3. I've got some more thinking to do, but is "Blood on the Tracks"Bob Dylan's Odyssey/Ulysses album?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what do you mean by his "Odyssey/Ulysses" album?

raymond pert said...

The Odyssey, starring Ulysses, is a story of fate, being tangled in the deep blue sea, of looking for protection, of strong women, jokers, disguisers, etc.

All the themes of Homer's epic seem to be in the Blood/Tracks title tracks so I've been messin' around with the idea that maybe Blood/Tracks is like James Joyce's Ulysses: the old epic story of Homer told in a new and different way.

I dunno.