Thursday, April 11, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 04/10/19: Taxes Filed, Par 3, Curry and *Henry V*

1. With the last bit of information I needed entered, I filed tax returns to the USA, Idaho, and Oregon. Later in the day, I received notification that each entity accepted the filings, so I'll put  a check in the mail to Idaho and be done.

2. A year ago Byrdman and I were relaxing at his sister-in-law's Bayview home and tuned into the Masters Par 3 Contest and watched Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, and Tom Watson play a relaxing and chatty nine holes together, a deep pleasure. On the ninth hole, Nicklaus invited his 15 year old grandson, GT, to whack a shot. Did he ever whack it: GT moved his grandfather to tears by scoring a sweet hole-in-one, one of the most remarkable and moving moments ever in the world of golf.

A year later, today, I tuned into the Masters Par 3 Contest and watched Nicklaus, Player, and Watson again. To witness their mutual respect and enjoyment of each other was, again, a deep pleasure. Player is 83, Nicklaus is 79, and Watson is 69.  I loved how they hit beautiful shots, fired up cheers in the gallery, and wore their golf nobility so lightly and comfortably.

No moments today like GT's ace a year ago. It's hard to believe a moment like that will ever happen again.

3. I had fun cooking and eating a more aggressive green curry today with tofu, broccoli, mushrooms, and fresh lime juice over brown rice. I pushed this curry's heat, saltiness, sweetness, and citrus sparkle pretty hard and relished these contrasting sensations with each bite and the way the rice provided a neutral foundation to this mixture.

It was rainy and chilly this evening.  I fixed myself a couple of warming and rich hot drinks with dark rum, chocolate truffle powder, and boiling water.

For the first time in several years, I watched Kenneth Branagh's movie adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry V. I wondered if I'd still love this movie the way I did 20 to 30 years ago after it was released in 1989 and I watched it countless times both at home and in the classroom.

I did.

I turned off the movie just before the Battle at Agincourt, my mind full of memories, classroom discussions, renewed thoughts about Shakespeare's vision of politics and history in this play, and marvel at what's exquisite in this movie: its soaring courtly and battlefield poetry as well as its tavern world lyricism, its brilliant structure, the depth of each actor's performance, and its visual wonders.

I'm not ready to write about how watching this movie brought back to mind the challenges of being a student and instructor of Shakespeare. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: