Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 01-25-21: Luxury Sleep, Colette Rings Me Up, Black Bean Pleasure

 1. Around 5:00 or so this morning, I woke up for a few minutes, felt a complete sense of comfort, well, luxury really, underneath my sheet and three blankets, smiled contentedly, turned on my side and slept until 9:00. For me, that's really sleeping in.

2. Colette had some time on her hands while her daughter was meeting an appointment and she called me. She updated me on things in her life and told me wonderful stories about generous poets and writers she's met, talked to, worked with, and received advice from, including Kim Stafford, Perrin Kerns, Joy Harjo, and Beth Piatote. Colette has had some bad experiences over the years with egotistical, even domineering writers in workshop situations and it was both a pleasure and a source of reassurance that she's had these other much more positive experiences with generous spirited writers and that she's having an invigorating experience as a student in the MFA program at Eastern Oregon University. Likewise, her experiences at the Fishtrap workshops have been positive, helping embolden her as a writer and expand into new writing territory(ies). 

3. After quick soaking them, I slow cooked a pot of black beans this afternoon. Then I made myself a batch of refried beans. I love black refried beans with fried eggs; I love them inside a corn tortilla with some shredded cheese; I love going to the fridge with a spoon and eating homemade refried beans from the container, as if I were sneaking spoonfuls of ice cream from the freezer. 

No comments: