Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 10/04/2021: Rearranging Furniture, Debbie Cooks Terrific Food, Cocktails with Christy

1.  While living at home by myself for the last thirteen months, I made a couple of changes in how we have our household arranged. To accommodate the window a/c, I rearranged the living room furniture and I made changes here and there when I adopted Luna and Copper back in February. For the most part, though, I kept things the same. 

Now that Debbie is back, we've started to moderately shake things up a bit. Debbie's done some cleaning and reorganizing in the kitchen and today I started working on making the Vizio room our library -- as well as our tv room. I've got quite a bit left to do as far as shelving books and finding places for other things. One thing I like about this project is that it means removing two pieces of furniture from the Vizio room and two pieces of furniture from the living room. Now the passage way from the west half of the house to the east and on to the kitchen will be opened up more and I really like having our living room as minimally furnished as possible.

2.  I love to cook. So does Debbie. While in New York, Debbie tried out some things in the kitchen, among them Indian curry dishes. Today, Debbie went over to Carol and Paul's, introduced Gibbs to Carol and Paul's new puppy, Cleo, and Debbie brought home fresh herbs from the Roberts' gardens. She went to work in the kitchen making a curry which turned into a soup -- or maybe a stew. I'd say it was hybrid crossing Indian curry with Mulligatawny soup. 

Whatever Debbie's creation was or wasn't one thing is for sure: it was delicious. Mildly spicy, stocked with flavors from a variety of herbs and spices, and featuring sweet potatoes, onion, and apple, it was awesome. I'd almost forgotten how much more smoothly things go at home when two of us are working on things -- and the work gets done better. 

I'd say we're settling back into living together really well.

3.  Shortly after 7 o'clock, Christy came over for a cocktail party. The three of us sat in the living room and talked about a bunch of things. It's kind of amazing to me how I can live in Kellogg and know so little about what's happening around town and how Christy can know so much! The reason is pretty simple. Christy has abundant sources of news and I tend to stay close to home! So, I learned about all kinds of stuff: business practices in town, a marriage I had had no clue about, medical doctors coming and going, our local optometrist shortage etc. etc. We also talked about some family stuff involving visits from out of towners and began to discuss what Thanksgiving this year might look like.

Christy went to make a phone call and Debbie and I continued the party. Even though we were together in the car for many days on our trip home and even though we had a lot of time to ourselves at Brian's lake house, we continue to have a lot of catching up to do about our thirteen months apart. We did more of that tonight. It was a terrific session. 

No comments: