Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 10/12/2021: Copper Update, Emotional Tree House Concert, Busy Baseball Day

 1. Copper did some exploring in the living room this morning before Debbie and Gibbs got up and came downstairs. He immediately dashed to the basement once they started down the steps. In the early evening, he came upstairs on his own and was eating dry food in the kitchen even though Gibbs was in the living room.  He also ate wet food I put down for him. He wouldn't leave the kitchen on his own and cowered under the dining room chairs after he ate, once he saw and heard Gibbs in the living room. So that he could be in the Vizio room, safe behind a closed door, I carried him there. Later, I helped him get to the bedroom by carrying him there so he could be on the bed with Luna and me for the night.

2. All of this happened after Bill Davie's Tree House Concert, a performance that featured Bill reaching back to his 1988 Phobia Robes album and playing three songs from it (three, right?): "Mornings", "Meat of a Dream" and "Civil Disobedience".  I'm at a loss to explain why the songs from this album touch me so deeply, why they call up old feelings and vague memories. I can say with some certainty that they transport me back to days in the 1990s when I went to several of Bill's performances in Eugene, Corvallis, Yachats, and Deadwood and remind me of the fun I had with the great people I hung out with listening to Bill. They also bring up memories of the one time I went to Seattle to hear Bill perform live at the Backstage. He opened for Peter Himmelman. 

For tonight's poetry break, Bill read poems by W.S. Merwin and although Merwin wrote the poems Bill read near the end of his life, I enjoyed remembering when Jenny and I went to hear him read on the U of O campus back in 1983. I don't remember any details of that reading, but like so many sweet memories, even if the details have vanished, the uplifting feelings remain.

3. I was in and out of the Vizio room today, keeping an eye on the baseball games. I missed Freddie Freeman's game winning round tripper, a shocking blast at the expense of the usually unhittable Josh Hader. The Braves beat the Brewers, 5-4 and now advance to the NLCS. I watched parts of the Astros methodical crushing of the White Sox, 10-1. They advance to the ALCS to meet the Red Sox. I didn't see a lot of the Dodgers/Giants, but enough to be disappointed that the Dodgers had their way all game and cruised to a 7-2 win, forcing a Game 5 in that series. 

No comments: