Friday, October 22, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 10/21/2021: Making Thai Curry, Props to the Dodgers, Gliding Around YouTube

 1. This afternoon I made a ton of Calrose rice and then heated up some green Thai curry paste, added a couple of cans of coconut milk to it along with soy sauce, fish sauce, and brown sugar. I dumped chopped onion, orange pepper, some green beans, some spinach, and dried kaffir lime leaves into this sauce and it bubbled away until the onions and peppers were tender. 

I had a blast making Thai curry again, especially knowing that it provides a tasty meal that both Debbie and I enjoy a lot. This curry performed beautifully.

2. The green Thai curry I made was little bit hot to the mouth, but not as hot as the Dodgers' Chris Taylor and AJ Pollock. Good Lord! AJ Pollock slammed two home runs and drove in four runs and Chris Taylor, baseball's latest version of Mr. October, blasted three round trippers and racked up six RBIs. Early in this high stakes scrimmage, Freddie Freeman hit a rocket out of the park and staked Atlanta to a 2-0 lead and Atlanta's ace, Max Fried was on the hill for the Braves. I thought the Braves might be sitting in the catbird seat, but I was so wrong, so very wrong, as the Dodgers erupted for 11 runs, fueled by Taylor and Pollock's goners. 

I've reached a point in my sports viewing life where I don't have a lot of emotion invested in the outcomes of games. Now, this general trend of mine didn't hold up when the Nationals won the 2019 World Series or when Virginia won the 2019 NCAA men's basketball tournament -- and I still get riled up when the Oregon Ducks' basketball teams succeed and feel genuine pain when they lose.

Okay.

That's where I'm at.

That said, I've never been a fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers, but when it comes to Major League Baseball,  the animosity I felt toward the Dodgers in my youth has evaporated.

So, tonight, I enjoyed being able to feel awe when Chris Taylor launched his third missile out of the park. I'd love to see Atlanta advance to the World Series, but watching the Dodgers pepper the park with timely hits and those five home runs filled me with admiration and respect. Major props to the Dodger Blue.

3. After the game ended, I dived down a really fun YouTube rabbit hole. I continued my recent fascination and enjoyment of Norm Macdonald appearances on late night talk shows and also watched videos by The Eurythmics, Cheap Trick, Robert Palmer, Cheap Trick, and other groups and watched a couple of very entertaining clips of Kevin Pollock doing celebrity impressions.


No comments: