Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Three Beautiful Things 09-14-2026: Labs Completed, Food for Two, Debbie's Dinner Rocks

 1. I blasted out of Kellogg around 7:30 this morning and rocketed to the lab I frequent at Kootenai Health to complete the blood work I started on September 4. There was a glitch in my standing order on the 4th. Several tests I needed done didn't get done. I whisked over today to get those tests completed. 

It took a minute or two to sort out with Teresa, the all-pro phlebotomist, what vials I needed drawn and which ones had been drawn on Sept. 4 and we efficiently got it straightened out and soon I was finished and could head straight to Blue Coffee for a fast breaking chocolate croissant and a latte. 

Good news! All the results that came in today were great. My Tacrolimus test can't be processed locally and I'll get that result in a day or two. 

2. Those of you who live by yourself might know what I mean: it's easy to fall into eating habits and not have a lot of culinary variety. Over the past three months, I enjoyed what I prepared for myself, but, I admit, I was fixing food within a narrow range of soups, stir fries, wraps, and eggs dishes.

With Debbie back, however, variety returns. 

Shopping for two of us instead of just for me made my trips to Trader Joe's and Costco today much more fun as I began to anticipate fun meals to come -- prepared by either one of us. 

3. And sure enough, for dinner tonight Debbie prepared Mediterranean ground beef and beans to put on top of white rice. I'm particularly partial to the flavors of cumin and cinnamon, which I loved in this dinner, and loved how the cranberry beans worked in this dish. Over the last few weeks, I've steered away from canned beans (which I love, btw) and have been soaking and cooking dried beans. That's what Debbie did for this dish. 

It worked! 

No comments: