Thursday, January 31, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 01/28-30/08: Lloyd Thaxton, Editor at Last, "Modern Times"


1. I've been diving into my musical past, all the way back to the after school syndicated sound studio live mayhem of the Lloyd Thaxton Show. Lloyd Thaxton introduced me to Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. Lloyd sometimes played goofy air trumpet to "Tijuana Taxi" and other Brass hits and before long I was a part of this music being played in junior high and high school band. I've been listening to Herb Alpert albums on Napster, including Rise, Whipped Cream and Other Delights, Going Places, and South of the Border.

Did you ever used to dance in the living room in front of the telly to Lloyd and his guests? Would you like to keep in touch with Lloyd Thaxton?

His blog is here. Lloyd Thaxton was interviewed on Florence Henderson's talk show here. The interview opens with a fun video recap of Thaxton's career.

2. The long editor drought at Denali has ended. Mark January 30th as the day the Lane Community College Media Commission (including yours truly) selected a 2007-08 editor, Lindsay Stalone. I'm the magazine's literary advisor and look forward to working with Lindsay.

3. Last night I loaded up my low capacity MP3 player with Bob Dylan albums, put on the headphones, and went to sleep listening to Bob Dylan croon on his gravelly album, "Modern Times".

3 comments:

Canyonwren said...

Herb Alperts Tijuana Brass was a favorite when I was growing up. That album and Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire gave me great memories of that time period. Hope all is well in Oregon. Kellogg is getting blasted with snow. Weather is here, wish you were beautiful. Your NIC friend.

Dean B.

nou weldman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Go Figure said...

Lets see, Dylan and croon in the same sentence and you are the editor of what?