Friday, October 17, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 10/17/08: Darcy and Kelly, Homer's Tender Moments, KHS Homecoming

1. Two years ago Darcy and Kelly enrolled in courses of mine and we became good buddies. Today Darcy dropped by my office to rekindle our buddyship. We hadn't talked for over a year. I left my office, trudged out to my car, and there was Kelly, trudging to her car and we stood in the parking lot and swapped stories. What a great day: Darcy and Kelly within minutes of each other.

2. I love Homer. It's the small moments I love the most, the tender moments when in the midst of huge events Homer creates, with the lightest of touch, moments of intimacy. Athena tells Telemachus it's not time to be shy as readies himself to talk with Nestor; no one recognizes Odysseus when he returns to Ithaca, except his old and dying dog. My students probably think I'm a nut when I read moments like this in class and show them the goose bumps on my arms.

3. Ed and a handful of my fellow Class of '72 friends called me tonight from the grandstands of Teeters Field in Kellogg. They wanted me to help them enjoy Homecoming.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was great to chat with you yesterday. I always love to hear what you have to say and I left feeling better than I did before.

Christy Woolum said...

Did you hear SVG singing Hail to the Wildcats in the background?