Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 12/30/08: "Milk", Clean Floors, Fat Cats and Underdogs

1. I enjoyed the entire experience of taking in the movie, "Milk" this evening. Prominent: the movie transported me, in memory, back to the days of Anita Bryant v. Dade County and to first becoming acquainted with members of Spokane's gay community, as well as Whitworth College's. It never crossed my mind to think of gay people the way Anita Bryant did and her rhetoric, in a wholly pre-cognitive way, made me sick. In my twenties, had I sided with those at Whitworth College or those in the church or those in Spokane and Coeur d'Alene and Kellogg who regarded gay people as abnormal or perverted, it would have had to have been a conscious and willful decision that would have pitted something unnatural in me against my natural inclinations to accept and understand others.

2. It only took a few minutes, but mopping the floors, cleaning up the dirt the dogs have brought in, felt really good as the floors were transformed from dull and dusty to bright and shiny.

3. Dean Susan Carkin has decided that MBayless and I should hang on to our team taught eight credit learning community course in American Working Class Literature and WR 122. Enrollment has been slow, we have lots of seats available, and we are going to see if we can attract ten or more students over the next week to give us a full class. There's nothing I enjoy working with more than the American Dream, the meaning of work, the history of labor and the working class in the USA, and the working class in the USA. MBayless might love this even more than I do! I look forward to getting this underway and I hope we'll attract more last minute enrollments.

No comments: