Saturday, April 7, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 04/06/18: Up Early for a Pancake Lesson, House Cleaning, Friday Uptown

1.  With the Deke on a visit back east and Maggie having restless nights -- and Charly doing whatever Maggie does! --, I have some unusual mornings. This morning, Maggie woke me up shortly after 3 a.m. to eat (again) and once I was up, I decided to stay up. I didn't want to sleep through our 6 a.m. breakfast get together at Sam's, so I didn't go back to bed but fired up my laptop and got some writing done and drank some coffee. Breakfast was a lot of fun, especially the moment when Jerry ordered a pancake with bacon and eggs and, once it arrived, pulled a jar of Jif creamy peanut butter out of his jacket pocket. Jerry then instructed Ed, Scott, Buff, and me in the fine art of perfectly preparing a pancake: thick layer of Jiff, generous amount of syrup, and top it off with the two eggs.

2. Back home after breakfast, I went back to bed and slept off my early rising and, feeling much better by noon or so, cleaned up the kitchen, with special attention to the stove surfaces. I also laundered sheets and towels and some clothes, motivated by knowing I'd be sleeping in a bed with fresh sheets tonight.

3.  I met Ed uptown at the Elks for a Friday night burger and fries. Before long, Bev, Maxine, Jake, Carol Lee, Bucky, Debbie, and Shirley joined us and we had a lot of fun yakkin'. Before settling in at our table, I went back to the kitchen to say hello to a Dick and Floyd's slow pitch softball teammate and fellow Zinc Plant alum, Keith Green. Keith is a seasoned grill cook, having gained invaluable experience over 45 years ago when he slung burgers (the Lane Burger!) and other fine meals out of the kitchen at the Kopper Keg. I think I remember that the practice at the Kopper Keg was to deep fry the burger patty, but, not at the Elks. These burgers are fried the right way, on the grill.

After a burger and fries, I darted across the street to the Inland Lounge for a great conversation with Mike Grebil. Mike expressed his gratitude for the work Mom did with his son -- was it more than one?
-- in the school district's gifted student program and we talked about those good old days of History Day projects and state competition in Boise. Mike's son was too young to qualify for a trip to the national competition in Washington, D. C. I very much enjoyed listening to the glowing things Mike had to say about Mom's work.

No comments: