Thursday, April 19, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 04/18/18: Money Morning, Dad's Blue Datsun Pickup, Radio Brewing

1. The Deke and I wanted to get some financial things in our life clarified, so we had a money morning today. I enjoyed everything we did: we discussed outstanding obligations, assessed how our situation looks today, and started a wish list. I paid bills. We also realized that we needed to Shawn about the next remodeling project that is starting next week. I texted Shawn, invited him over this afternoon, telling him we needed to make sure we had everything he was doing and what it would cost straight in our minds.

2. While Christy and the Deke were attending their book group this afternoon, I hustled over to Yoke's to buy some beer for Shawn's visit and pick up a few other things. While strolling by the onions, garlic, and avocados, I walked near a man wearing a Yankees cap with a toothpick in his mouth, a man older than I am. "You're Woolum, aren't you?" I didn't recognize him. I said yes and I think he could tell I didn't know who he was. "Hello, I'm Rich Edwards. You remember that little blue Datsun pickup your dad had years ago?" "Yes!" "Well, I sold your dad that pickup. He said he wanted it to go golfing." I shook my head in marveled disbelief and we stood there for several minutes and Rich told me was shopping because his wife had slipped on the ice back in February and broken bones in her leg. He thought she'd be healed up some time this summer. We shook hands and I headed off to the dairy cooler and he headed toward the lettuce and carrots.  (By the way, if you were to look back several days on this blog, you'll read that I met Rich's cousin, Kelly, at the Inland Lounge on Saturday.)

3.  Shawn dropped by. I popped open each of us a bottle of Ninkasi's Believer, a fine double red ale, and we got everything straightened out and, if I'm not mistaken, we made additions to the project. After Shawn left, the Deke and I decided to go uptown to Radio Brewing. We grabbed a stool at the front bar, each ordered a short strong ale, and some food. For the first time, I tried the delicious chicken pot pie at Radio and the Deke enjoyed a salad. It was fun just to relax together after being apart for a month and continuing to get caught up about what we did while apart and starting to look at what the near future looks like for us.

No comments: