Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 04/09/18: Mortar and Pestle is Back, Morning Routine, "King of the Gypsies"

1. The recipe called for a mortar and pestle! I couldn't believe my eyes! I was looking for a different way to roast the small bone in sirloin end roast I had thawed. The second I found out that this recipe called for me to use the mortar and pestle, I was all in. So, I peeled six garlic cloves and dropped them into the mortar with salt and wielded my trusty pestle and crushed them into a paste. Then I added olive oil, dried rosemary, dried sage, and pepper and mashed it all together into a lush paste. I slathered the paste onto the roast, put a loose fitting tent of aluminum foil over the meat, and put it in the refrigerator where it will sit for about twenty-four hours until I roast the pork tomorrow.

If you want to read the recipe, it's here.

2. Recently, I have developed a morning routine I enjoy. Not only do I drink a couple of cups of SilverCup Midnight coffee (or so) and write my daily blog post, but I also listen to short podcasts. On Monday through Friday, the New York Times produces a morning twenty minute podcast, The Daily, here. Each podcast focuses primarily on one current story. Host Michael Barbaro interviews either a journalist or another person involved with the story who work to sort out where things stand with the story as day breaks. I also listen to a similar podcast from NPR, called Up First here, a ten minute first look at prominent stories of the upcoming day. As the day proceeds, depending on what I'm doing, I enjoy listening to programs I used to tune into when I lived in Maryland, especially 1A, here, Here and Now, here, and On Point, here

3. I haven't finished the profile yet, but I'm learning about another New York City world I know nothing about in Joseph Mitchell's piece, "King of the Gypsies" and am pretty sure that on Tuesday I'll put a lot of things I could do on hold and finish reading Mitchell's look at King Cockeye Johnny, the nickname for Johnny Nikanov, self-appointed gypsy king.

No comments: