Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 10/14/19: Eloise Ann Langford is Born, Breakfast with Cas and Other Stuff, Nats' Vets Lead the Way

1. The most beautiful of things happened! Today, October 14, 2019, at 7:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Adrienne, Josh, and Jack welcomed their new daughter and sister into their family. Eloise Ann Langford brightened all of our lives with her arrival.  Scroll to the bottom of this page and you'll see pictures of Eloise, Josh, and Adrienne.

2. Earlier in the day, about 7:30 a.m., Cas swung by and we hauled ourselves out to the Goose n Tree in Pinehurst for a superb breakfast and some first-rate yakkin'. I tried a pancake breakfast -- three fluffy pancakes with a small pile of bacon and a couple of eggs. I enjoyed my food a lot -- I couldn't finish it -- and, likewise, Cas enjoyed his Eggs Benedict with crab.

Once home, I completed my morning writing and then I brought my camera equipment out of the where I'd been storing it upstairs dresser to the living room. I honestly don't know why I haven't done this sooner, but I spent much of the afternoon reacquainting myself with my modest collection of lenses, charging my Pentax Q batteries and relearning how to operate it, and ordering a lens cap and lens cleaning pens online. My next move will be to get acquainted with the film cameras and lenses Byrdman turned over to me quite a while ago, buy some film, and see how I do with some old school equipment.

(I should never put anything upstairs -- or in the basement for that matter. Aside from a few kitchen things I keep in the basement, when I put things where I don't see them daily, their existence flies right out of my mind. It's a funny way to be, but it's how I am.)

By the way, I bought a ticket for another Whitworth University event. Their jazz ensemble will be playing with their director's son, renowned trombonist (and Whitworth alum), Ryan Keberle and his band, Catharsis. This concert is on Saturday, November 2 at the Martin Woldson Theater at the Fox at 8:00. I also booked a room at the Ruby Hotel out of curiosity to see how I'd like that place and so I can stay downtown for this concert.

3. I love the current Major League Baseball publicity campaign, "We play loud". It focuses on the brash young players (Acuna, Bellinger, Soto, and others) who've recently come into the game, extolling their talents and their animated, extroverted approach to playing baseball.

That said, my deeper enjoyment comes from seeing players who've been playing for many years, and are in their thirties (or forties!) and watch them rise to the challenge of playoff baseball and make major contributions to their team's success. Such is the story, right now, of the Washington Nationals.

I watched the Nationals dismantle the St. Louis Cardinals, 8-1, tonight in Game 3 of the NLCS and put themselves with one win of advancing to the World Series. Yes, a major contributor to their success tonight was 29 year old Anthony Rendon.

But, tonight, 31 year old Stephen Strasburg pitched brilliantly for seven innings. He was relieved by 42 year old Fernando Rodney who mowed down the three Cardinals he faced, two by strikeout. On the offensive side, Howie Kendrick, at age 36, slammed three doubles and drove in three runs. Ryan Zimmerman, age 35, chipped in with a double himself, and a single, and drove home two runs.

If you enjoy a player who "plays loud" on the bench, watch 35 year old Max Scherzer in the Nationals' dugout, stalking, cheering, miming a shark bite with his hands, high fiving some players, hugging others, wow! -- he's full of contagious energy.

The Nationals' team blends players of all ages. Turner, Soto, Rendon, and Robles are young and fresh while Scherzer, Rodney, Zimmerman, Suzuki, Strasburg, and Kendrick bring veteran leadership and years of baseball experience to the team. It's a great pleasure to watch them.

Here are some pictures of Eloise Ann Langford alone, with Josh, and with Adrienne -- and a picture of her footprints!














No comments: