Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 10/21/19: Coffee with Ed, Chicken Stock, Learning More About Photography

1. I had just put on water to boil to fix oatmeal this morning and my phone rang. I couldn't believe it. It was Ed. Ed's been working long hours and many days over the last several months, but this morning he got off work really early and called me to see if I wanted coffee. I did. We met at The Bean. We yakked about a bunch of stuff, including roads and places in the CdA River Basin. Ed used to haul a lot of logs out places well up from where Byrdman and I were last Thursday and he explained to me where any number of roads go to, where key junctions are, and what some of the views are like. Once Ed retires, he and Stu and I want to go on some day trips and I hope we'll go into some of this country to enjoy the beauty and so Ed can relive some of his days many years ago working for Kellogg Transfer.

Ed and I also made a plan to go to the Elks on Saturday evening for the Chamber of Commerce's annual Pork and Apple Festival for dinner, raffle, drawings, prizes, and fun.

2. Into the crock pot, I put the leftover chicken bones from the stew I made on Sunday along with celery, celery greens, a chopped onion, bay leaves, and some salt and pepper all together, poured water over it, turned on the slow cooker, and by late afternoon, the smell of bubbling chicken stock filled the house.

3. I stayed inside while it rained today. I spent much of the afternoon reading about different Nikon camera lenses, wondering if I wanted to add to my modest collection, and, in the course of my reading, refreshed and added to my understanding of exposure. It's been quite a while since I devoted time to this kind of reading, including rereading a very informative email about Nikon lenses that Rick Taylor sent me about three years ago. I don't know that I absorbed what I read well enough to be able to repeat it, say, in conversation, but, after today, some technical knowledge about cameras and lenses and exposure sunk in more deeply.

No comments: