Sunday, October 27, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 10/26/19: VFW Breakfast, Pork & Apple Feed, Astros Look Hot

1. Huckleberry pancake with butter. Scrambled eggs. A couple of link sausages. Back to the line. A biscuit with sausage gravy. Coffee.  I enjoy going to Osburn's VFW Hall on the 4th Saturday of the month for their fund raising breakfast. The food is delicious. I always see DJ and Eileen. Today I got to talk with Mike Grebil for a while. As I continue to live in the Silver Valley, I want to go to as many of these breakfasts and other feeds as I can. I've started checking the community board at Yoke's to make sure I know about ones coming up and they are often advertised on Facebook. As I try to become more and more a part of life around here, these food events are central.

2. In fact, it was because of wanting to do more feeds that a few weeks ago I made plans to go to the Pork and Apple Feed at the Elks tonight and Ed and I went. What a fun-filled night! Ed and I arrived right at 5:00. I bought a slug of raffle tickets, put a blue ticket in the box in front of each prize I was interested in winning on one table and all my pink tickets went into the tumbler for a shot at winning one of the big prizes.  Ed and I joined Danny, Sharon, Bert, and Cindy and I drank a few cans of Miller beer and joined in the yakking and laughing and entertaining each other until the chow line formed.

Servers at the front of the hall filled my plate with tender, moist pork, brown-sugared fried apple slices, a small bowl of baked beans, a dinner roll, and cole slaw. As we all neared the end of our splendid meal, Harley and a KHS student, a woman also named Harley, took over the room and worked together on raffling off prizes and getting the kids' elk race going a few times*.  Harley and Harley have been working together on this for over ten years. In fact, young Harley is currently a cast member in the school play this weekend at KHS and went to the director, brother-in-law Paul, and asked if the Saturday performance could happen at a time that would allow her to jet up to the Elks afterward so she could help her sidekick Harley with the drawings. Sure enough, Paul set the performance for 4 o'clock. Harley performed in the play, arrived at the Elks, and was, once again, part of what the two of them call the Harley and Harley Show.

(See why I love these feeds?)

I won a loaf of what looked to me like zucchini bread, but it might have been banana bread or another kind. So that he could pack this bread in his lunches this coming week, I gave my prize to Ed. He liked that.

3. Baseball can be a streaky game and looks like possibly the Houston Astros have snapped out of a bad streak into a good one and that the Nationals have possibly moved the other direction. Because I was yakking, laughing, and eating, I didn't watch tonight's Game 4 of the World Series closely, but I watched enough to know that the Astros jumped out to a two-run lead in the first inning; I saw Alex Bregman trotting around the bases after catapulting a shot into the seats for a grand slam; and, I know the Nationals never got much offense going and lost the game 8-1.

I'm a little bummed out.

Because I loved living near Washington, D.C. and fell in love with that city, I am hoping for a Nationals' World Series title. Tonight's game is huge, as is the fifth game of any World Series. It's odd that neither team has won a game at home. For Game 5, the Nationals will have one of their aces, Max Scherzer on the mound, but the Astros will counter with the powerful Gerrit Cole. Last Tuesday, the Nationals defeated the Astros with Cole on the mound. For me, it would be awesome if they could do it again.

I hate to say it, but I don't have a good feeling about Game 5. If, as it appears, the mighty Astros are on a roll, they will be difficult to defeat tonight.

All the same, GO NATS!

* The Pork and Apple feed features an elk race for the children present. It features a board with six elk on it going from the top to the bottom of the board. Each elk is on some kind of slider. The children all fill out entry forms and pick if they want to have elk # 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 "race" for them. One adult rolls dice and whatever is rolled determines which elk moves forward how many spaces. A second adult has what looks like a pool cue and slides the designated elk forward the designated spaces. In short order, one of the six elk wins the race and the child (or children) who picked that elk wins a prize. The children come up to the board, sit in front of it, and cheer for their elk as it moves ahead. It's a sweet game. Tonight they played if four, maybe five, times.

No comments: