Saturday, October 12, 2019

Three Beautiful Things 10/11/19: Goose n Tree, Up the River, Nats Win at the Lounge

1. I hadn't dropped into the Goose n Tree in Pinehurst for quite a while to eat breakfast and late this morning I decided to go up the river and take some pictures, so I stopped in. I'd just seen Meredith on Sunday when I bought a loaf of bread for family dinner there and I enjoyed seeing her again. My breakfast was superb. Derrick makes exquisite sauces and so I ordered the Continental Divide. I had never eaten Derrick's Chili Rojo sauce and am I ever happy I ordered this dish. It featured two corn tortillas covered with refried beans topped with cheddar cheese. On top of the cheese, Derrick created a layer of scrambled eggs and sirloin tips and the whole dish swam in his Chili Rojo sauce. To my taste, much like his Verde Sauce, the Chili Rojo sauce did not have a lot of heat (pepper sauces were available at the table if I wanted to heat it up). Rather, the sweet and smoky flavor of chili came forward and I enjoyed this a lot. As a side, the dish included Derrick's perfectly prepared hash browns.

2. From the Goose n Tree, I headed up the river to take pictures. I stopped at a turnout at mile post 4 and took pictures from road level and crawled down the bank for angles closer to the water. Unfortunately, my session was cut short because I suddenly had to go back home and take care of some business -- nothing to worry about -- it's all fine -- so I'm looking forward to the next gorgeous October day when I can stay longer and work my way farther up the river and on to the Coal Creek trail -- and maybe beyond.

Pictures later.

3. Around 5:00, I headed uptown to watch Game 1 of the Nationals/Cardinals NL Championship Series. The Nationals eked out a run in the second and again in the seventh and those two runs held up because their #4 starter, thirty-five year old Anibal Sanchez, of all the wild and unexpected things, pitched no-hit ball two outs into the eighth inning. Cardinal pinch hitter Jose Martinez singled for the Cards' only hit. Sanchez then left the game and Sean Doolittle masterfully finished the game. All four Cards he faced made outs.

My attention during the game was divided between keeping track of the game and enjoying conversation with Ginger and Eddie Joe and then, after they'd had burgers at the Elks, Carol Lee, Jake, and Ed and, after they finished playing golf, Eileen and DJ.

I had my burger delivered from the Elks -- no cheese, dill pickles, ketchup, and mustard. Perfect.

I didn't need to give this game my full attention to know that the Nationals' win was a huge one because:

1. They won this game with their #4 starter on the mound.
2. They won this game in St. Louis and St. Louis no longer has home field advantage.
3. They only used one pitcher out of the bullpen, giving their relievers much valued rest. Not only that, their top reliever, Daniel Hudson, was unavailable. He's on a temporary paternity leave. His wife just gave birth. I hear Hudson will return to the Nationals for Saturday's tilt.
4. The Nationals will have Max Scherzer available with full rest for Saturday's Game 2 and will have both Corbin and Strasburg fully rested when the series heads to D. C. on Monday -- unless one of them is called upon to pitch on Saturday in relief. We'll see!

No comments: