Monday, August 3, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 08/02/20: The Dodger Hour, The ZOOM Hours, Family Hours BONUS A Limerick by Stu

For my Sunday morning jazz listening pleasure, I recalled KLCC-FM introducing me to Diane Schuur, and I loved being reminded of and listening to her rich and affectionate singing voice and her sensitive stylings on the piano.


1. My internet television service comes in very well on my Samsung tablet, so instead of moving the television into the Vizio room, I watched the first hour of the Dodgers and Diamondbacks on the tablet. Clayton Kershaw made his pitching debut this season and looked sharp in the few innings I watched him; in addition, I got to see the slumping Cody Bellinger crush a frozen rope into the right field stands for his first home run. I thought about the number of times I've heard basketball announcers say that when a shooter is slumping, it can help them snap out of it if they make a lay-in or a free throw and see the ball splash through the twine. I wondered if Cody Bellinger might get back on track now after seeing that low liner he parked in the first inning dive into the stands.

Oh, by the way, I later learned the Dodgers shut out the Diamondbacks, 3-0.

2. At 2:00, I jumped onto ZOOM to join Bill, Diane, and Colette for a stimulating and far-reaching three hour conversation about nearly everything it seemed. We all have different aspects of life during the pandemic on our minds and talked about the how well, at times, spending hours indoors reading, writing, and thinking about things has gone, while, at the same time, we talked about how the tensions caused by the pandemic, the suspicions of others that have been aroused, and the frightening things that we know about having happened or have experienced first hand. Talking about transformation we've experienced was heartening; the stories of meanness and intimidation were disheartening.

Likewise, talking with each other about grief we've experienced in the long span of our lives was both heartening and disheartening. When we could talk about others in our lives who have been attuned to us during the times of grief we have suffered, these stories buoyed me, encouraged me to trust others; the stories we told about people responding to our times of grief with denial, unwelcome positivity, shallowness, or even blame, discouraged and angered me.

We had some purely fun discussion, too, especially as Bill and Diane spoke enthusiastically about the Amazon Prime series, Good Omens, and as we all got fired up about our many, many experiences over the years watching Harold and Maude. We shared our insights, cited favorite scenes, talked about social experiences we had with others watching this movie, and it was clear that the four of us regard it as one of our favorite, most beloved, and (dare I say?) most inspiring movies we've ever seen.

I thought of Jeff Steve while we were yakking away about Harold and Maude. He is a fellow devotee who would have loved this conversation.

And, I'll add, Colette seems to be making the most of her time in Eastern Oregon University's MFA Writing program. She's has humane and talented professors, is being exposed to a wide range of assigned reading, and is experiencing challenges to and expansion in her writing. She's waited over thirty-five years to enter an MFA program and I love hearing her talk about how she's energized by and grateful for her experience in EOU's program.

3. Paul was playing golf with his brother, David, in Spokane, but Carol, Christy, Everett, Debbie, and I met on Carol and Paul's sun blocked patio for family dinner. Carol fixed a tropical, rum-based, summery drink to start and presented a wonderful spread of appetizers. When it came for the main event, Carol brought out a generously stocked plate of perfectly prepared chicken drumsticks that Paul had grilled the day before. We popped open the containers Debbie brought over: a black bean and rice dish and a chopped kale salad. Christy made a splendid peach cake, called Peaches and Cream Poke Cake. The recipe is here.

We had a lot of news to catch up on. A neighbor, Larry Crall, passed away last week and we talked about what happened near the time of his death and what's happening with the family now. I haven't been out and about in Kellogg much at all -- just the occasional trip to Yoke's and the liquor store -- and I appreciated learning where all employees are wearing protection and places where some are and others aren't.


Here's a limerick by Stu:




Folks are labeled by "A's" and "B's".
To tell them apart is a breeze.
Type A says "excuse",
Plus use a tissue for "ah choo's"!
While Type B's sleeve instead wipes their sneeze.


No comments: