Sunday, August 30, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 08/29/20: Bon Voyage!, Great News!, Party on the Deck! BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. Methodically, without rushing, Debbie made sure she had what she needed to fly to New York this morning and we and Gibbs piled into the Sube and bolted over to Spokane International Airport. Debbie sent me pictures of Gibbs in his crate under the seat in front of her, of Gibbs strolling at the SeaTac Airport, and of Gibbs starting to acclimate to his new home for the next few months with Adrienne, Josh, Jack, and Ellie. While I had full confidence that Debbie and Gibbs would arrive safely, I was relieved when Debbie let me know my confidence was well placed.

2. On the way to the airport, I heard my cell phone chime with a notification. I wondered if possibly it was Terry Turner. Terry had told me earlier in the week that he would be coming through Kellogg over the weekend. I wasn't sure if he'd arrive on Saturday or Sunday. At the airport, Debbie, Gibbs (sort of), and I bade one another farewell and I drove down to a less crowded area in front of the terminal and checked my messages.

Sure enough! Terry would be arriving in Kellogg in the early afternoon and I also had a message from Don Knott telling me that he would get in touch with me in the afternoon after playing golf in the morning. I sensed a party was beginning to take shape. I arrived back in Kellogg, informed Ed that Terry would be at my place and told Don to be sure to tell Jake.

I arrived home about two and half hours before Terry arrived and this gave me plenty of time to tidy up the house, clean some surfaces, and have the place looking pretty good for visitors.

3. A party, indeed, took shape - in fact, a great party. Terry arrived. He got situated and he pulled a couple cans of Sunriver Brewing's superb Pale Ale, Rippin, out of his cooler and we sat on the back deck and savored this very tasty beer. I made a couple of snack plates. Terry added some snacks he was traveling with. Before long, we needed another beer and I got to drink a can of Buoy Beer Company's Czech Pilsner. (Buoy Beer Co. is out of Astoria, Oregon.)

Well, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you know that I love drinking beer, but I've not consumed any Oregon craft beers for several months. Drinking the Rippin and the Buoy Czech Pilsner awakened me to how much I've missed great craft beer and I was one happy lad.

Ed arrived and I had one Rolling Rock left in the fridge and he enjoyed it. Then he left for a while to go check in on Nancy.

Don arrived, too.  He brought a six pack of ale brewed at Ellensburg's Iron Horse Brewing -- the very popular and very tasty Irish Death. 

In his trailer, Terry had steaks and some potatoes to grill. Originally, we was going to fire up his grill outside his trailer in front of Christy and Everett's house, but, instead, Christy invited him to use her grill. Before we knew it, Terry came through the gate between our yard and Christy's with a plate full of perfectly grilled rib eye and T-bone steaks and a batch of grill fried potatoes. Mine was one of the best steaks I've ever eaten.

But we weren't done. The party grew. Christy poured herself a cocktail at her house and joined the rest of us on the deck.

Not only that, Terry broke out a bottle of The Balvenie Doublewood Single Malt Scotch Whisky, aged 12 years.

With Christy giving our party a new jolt of energy and with three of us sipping this complex and uber delicious scotch, our party soared into the stratosphere of stories, laughter, good cheer, and intoxication. Terry, Don, Ed, and I graduated from the KHS Class of 72 and have been friends since before Moses, and Christy, who graduated in 1973, knows everyone we know and had no problem fitting right in with and contributing to all the yakkin' that whirled around the table.

It's kind of mind boggling.

I woke up this morning knowing I'd be driving Debbie to the airport.

I had no idea that a joyous party with great food, drink, and Kellogg camaraderie was going to break out on the back deck.

It was awesome.

An awesome spontaneous afternoon and evening of eating, drinking, and being happy!



Here's a limerick by Stu:

Does is it matter to you what you drive?
Just to get there from here and survive?
Or would you prefer a big truck,
That would never get stuck?
Or maybe dream car, so you feel alive?

No comments: