Sunday, August 9, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 08/08/20: PGA Championship, Effie Mug, *Monk* BONUS A Limerick by Stu

Saturday jazz: Bill Evan Radio on Pandora.

1. I spent much of the day watching the PGA Championship, the first golf I've watched on television in 2020. I won't be able to watch the tournament finish tomorrow -- it will come to a close during family dinner. I'm intrigued by who's leading the tournament. Two-time defending champion Brooks Koepka is only two strokes behind the leader Dustin Johnson. Veteran Paul Casey has never won a major. He's 43 years old and also sits just two strokes out of the lead. It will be fascinating to see how the younger players who are near the lead will perform under the demands of the fourth round of a major tournament. I don't know much about Scottie Scheffler or Cameron Champ. I'm a bit more familiar with the gifted Collin Morikawa. However these three newcomers play, they will gain valuable experience today, albeit without hordes of people lining each fairway and green, whooping and hollering, since the tournament is closed to spectators in service to public health.

I won't be pulling fanatically for (or against) any one on this leader board, but if I could have a wish come true, since I've always enjoyed it when older players triumph, I'd love to see Paul Casey prevail.

2.  Joined by Laurie and Bentley, Stu stopped by our house on his way back from seeing his and Laurie's newborn grandson, Finnley. Stu and Laurie had been to Lewiston last week and had lunch at Effie's with Don Knott. Don sent Stu home with a present for me and it's awesome: it's a mug (I'd say a coffee mug, but Don instructed me to drink brandy from it -- and I will!) with the words, "Effie Time" on one side and on the other side is a picture of Jake, Stu, Ed, Lars, Byrdman, Don, and me gathered outside Effie's back on January 3, 2018. It's a great souvenir of that awesome road trip to Lewiston and I look forward to watching some ball games and sipping on brandy out of my new mug.

3. Debbie and I returned to Monk tonight and watched Monk figure out how a guy in a coma could have pulled off sending mail bombs to members of his family he was in dispute with over inheritance money. That story was very good, but I enjoyed the episode's subplot even more. Sharona's ex-husband appeared in hers and Benjy's life out of nowhere on Benjy's birthday and the episode explored the misery of an absent father who never paid child support and who suddenly popped up, as if he's suddenly a hero, and disrupted Sharona and Benjy's life and had a plan for their future. The crux of the story:  Would Sharona fall for it?


Here's a limerick by Stu:


There’s some things in this world you can’t pick.
Like your parents and what makes them tick.
But, if you grow up a bigot,
And turn on that vile spigot.
The results I have seen make me sick.

No comments: