Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 08/04/20: Enaville to Fernan Lake, Cooling Off, Songs/Poems and Deep Places BONUS: A Limerick by Stu

I wasn't home for much of the morning. No jazz.

1. Around 7:30 or so, I popped into the Sube and roared out to the trail head of the Trail of the CdAs across the road from the Snake Pit in Enaville where I met Ed. I piled into his pickup and we headed up the river for a drive into the mountains.

We crossed the Bumblebee Bridge and headed up the Little CdA River Road until we arrived at a junction with NF 612 and we headed out to Fernan Lake. Ed had traversed these forest roads countless times years ago when he drove logging trucks for Kellogg Transfer. He pointed out places where he went off the road (fortunate to survive), where he had a major breakdown once and had to hike into CdA to phone for help, and marveled at the grandeur of the forestland we traveled through, remembering vistas and views he used to see regularly when he would make three round trips a day on these roads out of the woods and to the mill(s) in Coeur d'Alene.

The drive on NF 612 and coming down into Fernan Lake was all new to me. In my dream world, once we arrived back to Enaville, we would have said, "Hey! Let's do that again!" and repeated the trip for the no rational reason except to enjoy the beauty of the CdA National Forest.

But, of course, we don't live in a dream world and I hopped in the Sube and Ed stayed in his pickup  and both of us headed to our respective homes to continue our days.

2. I stocked our fridge, pantry, and liquor supply with quick trips to Yoke's and the liquor store. Back home, neither Debbie nor I were very hungry for dinner, but I loved the idea of just fixing myself a plate of cold food: celery and carrot sticks, slices of sweet red pepper, crackers and cheese, some peanuts, roasted red peppers out of a jar, and some iced sparkling water.

A little later, I added to my cold food by making a very cold drink, a mixture of vanilla ice cream, milk, and very small amounts of creme de cocoa and brandy. I didn't want much booze, but I wanted the flavor and this delicious treat, which I mixed by hand with a fork in my glass, was perfectly refreshing and tasted just the way I wanted it.

3. It was Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday, the day that time forgot, and Bill Davie returned this evening for Tree House Concert #14. He played two of my favorite songs, "Valley of Wine" and "Ravine". Maybe because a valley and ravine are bottom areas with mountains or steep sides growing out of them, I experience these songs as companion pieces -- but, it's more than geography -- I can't quite put it into words, and it might just be inexplicable, but both songs transport me in similar ways, fill my head with thoughts about deep inward places, sometimes dark ones, places I think about being delivered from, but that frequently invite me back for a quick visit, sometimes for a long stay.

Bill always reads poetry during his Tuesday evening, hour long concerts. Tonight he featured his own poetry. It was scintillating to experience his imagination and his musical ways with language at work in his poems, especially alongside his songs. While sitting out back, Debbie tuned in to tonight's concert and, later, I joined Debbie on the deck and enjoyed listening to her talk about what she admired after listening to Bill's poems and songs.


Stu's daughter, Aynslee, gave birth on Tuesday, August 4th and here's his limerick marking this big day:




2020’s been one funky year.
With a Virus and Mayhem to fear.
But, for us all’s not bad,
Aynslee’s Groom’s now a Dad.
And Finnley James Meyer’s now here.

No comments: