Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 08/17/20: Inactive Again, Blood Draw Walk, Star Spangled Banner BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. As I expected I would this week, today Sheri called. She's a transplant nurse coordinator and, back in 2018, the program assigned her my case. She called to follow up on my decision Sunday to decline transplant surgery at this time. Utmost on her mind, I'd say, was whether I would, more than likely, decline future offers. If I would, she recommended I return to being listed as inactive (there's no penalty for this - I continue to accrue time and I keep my place on the transplant list). I understood her concern thoroughly. Until I'm ready to accept a kidney, she doesn't want to see nurse coordinators like herself spending time tracking me down with an offer only to be turned down. I agreed with her. I am now on the inactive list -- where I've been before.

So here's my simple plan. I see Dr. Bieber, my nephrologist, on Sept. 16th when I'll have blood work done. I'll find out then if my condition is still stable. I won't know much for certain until then (no problem), but I can say that I'm not experiencing any symptoms of kidney disease: no water retention, no metallic taste in my mouth, no fatigue, none of the signs I've been told to look for. My blood pressure was solid today. I'm eating a mostly vegetarian diet. I'm taking pretty good care of myself.  I will consult with Dr. Bieber about staying on the inactive list. If he recommends that I accept the next offer, should it come, I'll ask Sheri to activate my listing again.

I am due for my annual kidney listing exam at Sacred Heart in November. Sheri suggested that I could put this off, but I told her I want to meet these appointments. I don't know if I made it as clear to Sheri as I feel it, but I enjoy these all day exams and the consultations that follow. I enjoy talking with the professionals assigned to my case: the social worker, financial person, dietician, the transplant surgeon, the transplant program nephrologists, and the others. If I am still on the inactive list in November, I will welcome further consultation with these people to further determine if they think what I'm doing is wise.

Believe me, when I talk with these people, I'm all ears. I'm not stubborn. My decision to not have transplant surgery right now has to do with the fact that I am getting along very well with my limited kidney function. I'm also concerned with the continued growth of Covid-19 cases in this area where I live and the number of people who don't protect others by covering their faces or keeping distance from one another.  My response to living where a number of people do not protect others is rational and matter of fact. It's not fearful, not angry, not judgmental, not self-righteous. I lie low. I spend as little time as possible in places (like the grocery store) where I know people aren't protecting each other. If I had transplant surgery, and if Covid cases were still occurring, my rational vigilance would increase. Not my fear. I would continue to make a rational assessment of the world I live in and how to best live in it. It does no good to wish things were different or to complain. I have to deal with things as they are.

2. Sheri called in the afternoon. This morning, I didn't know that I would be going on the inactive list, so I did what I do once every month when I'm on the active list. I walked to the Shoshone Medical Center for a blood draw to be sent to the lab in Spokane. When I finished, I walked over to the trail leading to the high school and walked it to the school and then back home again.

3. If you watched the National Anthem being sung at the National Democratic Convention today, you might remember the first voice you heard and the first face you saw. Her name is Naya. Naya's mother is Josh's sister. Josh is our daughter Adrienne's husband. She has a solo moment again toward the end of the video. If you didn't hear this performance of the Star Spangled Banner, or if you'd like to hear it again, now that you know a little more about Naya, click here to enjoy it (I hope it stays online for a long time!). (Oh! And, if you click on this link, hang in there for about 30 seconds while an ad plays...) 



Today is National Bad Poetry Day. Here is Stu's limerick commemorating this occasion:



Today celebrates those who can’t.
Write out lines that are witty.
Or maybe with meaning,
How about a rhyme?
Seems that their poems just STINK!

No comments: